[BC] IP Weirdness

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 27 20:12:40 CDT 2008

>     I hooked up the internet.  Couldn't do it directly, had to put the
> flaky switch (not the internet router) in the line first in order to
> play well with the hub. ( I think I remember doing all the connections
> as the B standard, reverse only one pair...)  Internet comes in, to
> cheap router, to switch, now to hub, and on to machines.

>   Things looked fine for a few minutes.
> then, all of a sudden, the IP weirdness comes back.
> Put in xx.xx.0.75, and the machine tells you it's pinging xx.xx.0.61 -
> what the heck ?!? That is NOT what I typed...

   If you have one IP address from your ISP and more than one computer operating
on the internet you must be using a NAT router, each port can me assigned a different
IP address (through DHCP or manually set) and feeding one if it's ports (with only
one IP address) to a hub and on to several commuters will create a conflict.
The NAT router must feed the various users individually.
(if you feed a NAT router with a NAT router you go through two levels of delay from
the two internal DNS servers and web pages should appear more slowly)
   See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
--
    Ron  KA4INM - Watch out for the full moon,
                  freaky things can happen!