[BC] IP Weirdness

Jason R. jyrussell at academicplanet.com
Mon May 26 11:42:50 CDT 2008

Rrrrrrggghhh..   (<ggg>) I was trying not to think about that.  (lol).

   Just can't tell people not to download everything they see.

   Do you have any idea about how the NoIP program works?  From what I've
seen from the router logs... The machine with that program is constantly
phoning home to a site in california.

   While I had set things up to block all ports except a weird little
obscure number... corporate decided port 80 is the way to go for everything.
The program says it's using that, however, when you follow through, it's
actually opening two or 3 ports.  Port 80 appears to be only on the local
machine, the other ports are on the router, and the reverse lookup seems to
try to tie them all together.
IIRC, the reverse lookup number comes back to the same IP that was showing
up during a Net View... 192.168.0.61 (when in reality, I had input
xx.xx.0.75) -

While I have succeeded in getting that bit right, tracerts and pings and
such use the proper numbers, the wobbly network stuff is back.

Humbug.
Jason