[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

Gregory Muir gmuir at cherrycreekradio.com
Thu May 22 20:30:25 CDT 2008

Another anecdote.

Some time in the past I worked designing telescopes and instrumentation for
solar research.  I had the opportunity of working with a electronics
engineer who never neglected anything of curiosity.  One time when visiting
a observatory site in the mountains of New Mexico he noticed a tree that had
been struck by lightning.  If you have ever noticed, the lightning nearly
always follows a spiral path down the trunk of the tree, the spiral pattern
caused by the influence of the intense magnetic field on the arc.  By
measuring the spacing of the turns down the trunk and folding in a few other
factors, he would always calculate the current (I) level of the strike.  I
was fascinated by that man.

Greg