[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Wed May 21 16:39:45 CDT 2008

Greg,

Others may mention this too, but one of the important things to check
is the arc gap at the tower. I had a similar situation a few years
back where the 5 kW cycled and dumped off whenever a storm got close.
Before I arrived, it was so bad, I'm told, that when a storm
approached, they would just switch to the auxiliary (21E) ... and
sometimes forget to go back.

In the end, the solution was to check and reset the ball-gaps at each
tower. From that day until long after I left, the transmitter never
dropped off due to storm nor static.

At 10:41 AM 5/21/2008, Gregory Muir, wrote