[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

DHultsman5 at aol.com DHultsman5 at aol.com
Wed May 21 16:29:58 CDT 2008

In many cases of older tower installations, many times the origional guy
wires may have been grounded thru the deadman in concrete. Over the years the guys
the deadmen in the concrete have rusted and the guy wires are not grounded at
the ground end of the guys.

I had a station with a solid state transmitter that would shut down when a
thunderstom was in the area.  The sun could be shining..  I added a static drain
still the transmitter would VSWR during the storm or static build up periods.

Finally on day after going back to the old tube-type transmitter around
twilight in the evening I saw some sparks between the top insulators on the tower.
I watched it for a while as the tube transmitter would just continue to stay
on the air.  I noted that the next insulator would arc a couple of times
before the three insulators next to the tower arced.

In a discussion with an older engineer, he suggested that the static was
building up on the guy wires and since the path to ground at the ground end of guy
wire was essentially not grounded properly.  The static would build up to a
point that it would jump the insulators next to the tower.  He suggested that
we use copper wire and new rods at the base of each anchor to ground the guy
wires.

It didn't totally stop the tripping of the solid state 100% but we could
usually operate the transmitter until the storm was on top of us.

Check your guy wire grounds.

Dave