[BC] Connector insertion loss

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Tue May 20 06:45:29 CDT 2008

It's all about using the correct torque. Once the mating surfaces
are in contact with the proper force, the insertion loss is constant.

http://www.tru-con.com/library/TRU_EIA_DurabilityReport.pdf

If the flange and bullet heats, it expands. This tightens everything
unless the bullet has burned out. Therefore, heating helps.
If the flanges are properly mated by setting the proper bolt
torque, the interference fit will prevent corrosion at the
interface.

In the "olden" days we used copper bolts (yikes) because the
designers didn't know any better. Copper stretches, so eventually
everything is loose. Then, there was a time where we used brass.
It was a bit better, but it could still loosen over time. Now everybody
uses stainless steel. It retains its torque, doesn't corrode very badly,
and will hold everything together "forever."

It's the mated surfaces that carry the current, not the bolts, so the
original copper bolt EIA installations made by RCA in the 50's were
just plain stupid.

--
Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson