[BC] WWV La Caliente

Barry McLarnon bdm at bdmcomm.ca
Sat May 17 22:26:38 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 21:02, Kevin Tekel wrote:
> It was moderately fast and very steady... maybe closer to 20 WPM,
> but not blazingly fast like I've heard on some automated shortwave
> stations.
>
> The sound was a beep tone at a comfortable pitch for someone
> decoding by ear, a bit on the high side; very similar to the
> automated MCW IDs you hear on repeaters.  It definitely sounded
> like an AM-modulated tone rather than pure CW, as the tone was
> steady and clear despite the lack of the carrier of a prominent
> broadcast station on the frequency to serve as the BFO.
>
> It was just before sunset time (8:10 PM or so) and I had been
> listening to 1510 WRNJ at the fringe of their daytime signal when
> it faded out (in the same area where it fades out during broad
> daylight) and I heard the Morse code on my car radio.  I didn't
> hear any trace of the usual nighttime skywave stations on 1510
> (WWZN and WLAC), just typical critical-hours "background rumble".

Here's a theory...  In tuning around the AM band, I've noticed on a
few occasions ESPN stations running a promo that uses Morse code as a
sound effect (why they use it, I have no idea).  The code cuts
through noise much better than voice, so you might not notice the
announcer doing the voiceover.  A possible source of ESPN on 1510 in
your neck of the woods is WPUT in Brewster NY (a daytimer, but could
still be on when you heard the code).

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON