[BC] anyone with UVerse yet?

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Tue May 13 11:07:08 CDT 2008

------ At 11:15 AM 5/13/2008, R A Meuser wrote: -------

>You may have a few things confused.  There is an FCC requirement
>that a wire line carrier make it last mile copper available to
>competitors. As an example, Verizon in NYC must give RCN access to
>their loops. This requirement does not extend to fiber or other new
>technologies. Verizon does not need to share the new fiber FIOS
>network. That is the reason they pull the copper loops once FIOS is installed.

I understand all that. I suffered through the RCN installation in my
building. According to the building's super the companies sabotaged
each other. We finally had to assign a building maintenance person to
accompany RCN on any installation or repair call. I knew I'd have to
call Time-Warner repair every time I saw an RCN truck parked nearby.
I suspect RCN customers had the same problem. In my building RCN was
the first company to provide cable, Internet and VOIP (or VOIP-like)
telephone service as a package.

When Time-Warner "rewired" the city with fiber did RCN do the same?
Are they still copper? As I understand it similar regulations apply
to cable companies sharing their copper. I seem to recall being able
to get Earthlink and AOL broadband via Time-Warner even before AOL
became Time-Warner's albatross.

>As for swapping territories with competing companies, that would
>likely just be a business deal where both parties benefit. Verizon
>needs their own CO to support the fiber unless they choose to share
>the product in a territory they do not serve. At the end of the day
>it is just about making deals. Follow your financial pages.

I think the Verizon person I spoke with (very sharp techie type) was
referring to smaller companies without fiber. Will Verizon be allowed
to lay its own fiber in another operator's territory if that operator
declines? The Verizon guy made it very clear there will never be FIOS
service across the country.

How will the AT&T service, and others, be delivered in areas where
FIOS is dominant and copper has been removed? I was told that the
copper would be removed at the time FIOS was installed. If I was
unhappy with FIOS within 30 days they'd reinstall the copper from the
pole. Verizon is the wireline provider in the State so FIOS is
creeping my way. It's available about five miles from me.

Rich