[BC] cheap tv

Alan Kline akline at netins.net
Tue May 13 10:38:01 CDT 2008

OK, Tom, I get the humor, but my point was serious--too many companies
are claiming that the 2/17/09 date *requires* them to replace everything
from camera and mic to the stick, therefore requiring that they cut
staff to pay for it. That's bull. The only requirement is the encoder,
transmitter, and stick. Everything else can be replaced as normal
business practices allow. And for that matter, there never has been a
requirement to replace production equipment or on-air playout equipment
with anything digital. As I said before, competitive issues make it
prudent, (and for that matter, where can you buy analog anything
anymore?) but that's not the same as a government mandate. It's a lame
excuse from bad management.

When we put our DTV on air in 2002, the encoder was fed an analog signal
from analog studio and master controls, analog network, etc., etc. Since
then, we've upgraded most of that infrastructure to digital, and
continue to do so--because the old equipment was worn out, fully
depreciated, (and then some) and it was time to do so. *Not* because
there was a government mandate.

So I appreciate the humor, but I stand by my point...

ak

(However, I did get a kick out of putting tone from our 1939-vintage
General Radio oscillator on-air on the DTV. I won't admit how or why it
got there, but still... ;-) )