[BC] IP address blocking

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Tue May 13 08:06:23 CDT 2008

------ At 03:44 PM 5/12/2008, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote: -------

>The fisrt step in the process is to admit to yourself
>that you have a problem. No software or material
>item will break the circle. YOU have to do that yourself.

I do have a problem. People are spoofing my address. I deny I'm doing
it myself. I believe this denial is legitimate. Since I use the
software as an assistant and don't let it make final decisions, I
retain control. That's the key. I've made a conscious effort manage
the problem myself. I don't deny it sometimes fails. Where does
semi-denial rate on the scale?

>I used to call myself, beep myself, send me emails.
>When I finally confronted my inner demons I was
>able to break the cycle and rejoin society in a productive
>manner. The admission, a daily dose of Ritalin and
>Lithium for condition management keep me on the
>right path.

I'm deeply moved by your recovery even if it's causing the stock of
AT&T and Verizon to tumble. Just remember to take it one day at a
time and watch the market. I believe there's plenty of Ritalin
available but wonder if the trend toward lithium batteries isn't
diverting it away from those who desperately need it for emotional
stabilization. I often wonder if rejoining society isn't a serious
mistake. Look around you. Which group has more control? Is it those
doped up in caring, protective environments or those dopes in the
O'Reilly no spin zone? Doesn't Talk Radio and Trash TV make it
difficult to know which course is best? Is reality truly the best
course? It can drive you crazy.

>Memories of the straight jacket, the nice
>youg men in their shiny white coats, the shock treatments
>and the 'therapy' sessions with Mistress Helga and her
>cat whip keep me in line. I'm OK now and wnat to stay
>that way.

I'm sure the men in white coats can be helpful with their gentle
guiding ways. You're an engineer, so self-inflicted shock therapy is
going to happen whether you pay for it or not. However, the services
of Mistress Helga are in far greater demand outside the medical
community. I'm certain she makes far more money in "mainstream"
society than she does from insurance payments of pennies on the
dollar. Are her therapeutic credentials as solid as Nurse Diesel? I
question that.

In the meantime I'm going to continue my present course and
consciously block blocks of IP addresses. When there's a knock on the
door by those men in white coats (with proper paperwork) I'll go
quietly. I only ask that I be permitted to take my IBUZ radio with me
as an intermittent connection to the outside world. It's a simple
request that'll only require the men to don coveralls to install the
rooftop antenna. I'm sure their commitment to my emotional well being
will cause them to do it gladly and my insurance will pay for it.

Rich