[BC] Antenna Question

Tom Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Sun May 11 19:26:51 CDT 2008

I would suspect, even if it IS certified, if the
LPFM hasn't filed a CP to modify the authorized
antenna, they're skirting NOAL territory -
the Shively is

"Polarization:
    Right circular."

The Phazor blithely states:

"The Phazor®  utilizes an advanced phase shifting
element which radiates a signal in the horizontal
plane that is 90 degrees out of phase with the vertical elements.

This simulates circular polarization. The Phazor®
would be more accurately described as an
elliptical polarized collinear antenna. Being
that most of the gain is in the vertical plane for maximum range."

Although no specific data seems to be available
for the Phazor, it's a development of their Dominator;

"The Dominator has about the same gain as four
stacked circular polarized bays fed in phase and
mounted over a forty foot section of tower. "

So:  they may be over on V-ERP; they may be under
on H-ERP; or both... and/or way off on authorized
TPO, as well.  Depends on the H/V ratio of the
Phazor... I suppose if it's close enough to unity
(doubtful, based on the quoted description
above), they might get away with using
it......  (Shively quotes a nominal gain for four
bays full wave at 2.04, or 3.1 dB, so the Phazor,
at 3 dB gain = 2 kw ERP for 1 kw in - but without
the ratio, <I'd say the ERP is V, based on looks
alone> just what the breakdown is would be a guess)

I seriously doubt it could be used for a
full-power station; maximum input power is 1 kw;
although there's a 3-kw in version of the
Dominator... the caveat being, of course, that
the Dominator is STRICTLY vertical.

Sidebar:  Would one of these Dominators, fed from
a power divider, overcome the vertical polarity
pattern distortion of typical CP antennas, when
used with a standard H-only antenna?  Envision a
four-bay ring pole mounted, with a Dominator
mounted atop the pole.  Might be interesting to experiment with.....