[BC] Female engineers

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Sun May 11 07:00:29 CDT 2008

On Friday 09 May 2008 06:48 pm, Kim Sacks wrote:
>  No one has heard of me, I'm still a broadcast newbie, but I have 5
>  years under my belt so far.

 Welcome to the zoo !

>  I've yet to meet another female broadcast engineer face to face, I'm
>  sure I will one day. Since were on the subject... During an interview
>  for a job (not broadcast centric, electronics related) the fact that
>  I had a ham license was a big plus, but there was concern if the
>  "guys in engineering" would be "comfortable" with me as part of their
>  crew, and vice vesa. I responded by saying "I work with boradcast
>  engineers. I've heard every knob, shaft, screw, and rack joke you can
>  think of. I think I'll be just fine." Unfortunately, I never heard
>  back from them. I guess I was to confrontational.

 I've never heard those jokes myself, but I can imagine.

 I've met two female radio engineers in my career face to face.
 Worked with both. Don't see where it makes any difference whatever.

 Where it *did* make a difference, was a female rigger I worked with
 on one job. Very quiet, very attractive, petite, and could us a spud wrench
 as well as anyone.
 BIG plus on the job.
 Those guys were NOT going to let a woman, any woman, out-work them,
 but she easily did.
 Very, very productive, that crew.

--
Cowboy