[BC] avoiding the marketers

Tom Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Sat May 10 20:49:37 CDT 2008

Bob:

Move to Indiana - or at least get a phone that has an Indiana area
code.  Indiana's DoNotCall List is backed by the strictest law on the
books anywhere... just this past week, the High Court upheld it, in
fact.  Telemarketers call Indiana at their peril.  MAJOR fines!  Jail
time, even.  MUCH stricter than the Federal list, even.  And NO need to
be on both; that was ALSO in the Ruling.

hanging up won't help, either - complaint to the Consumer Affairs office
yields subpoenas to telecom provider(s) to cough up originator
forthwith.  Which they do; lest THEY get hit with massive fines.  I have
a cell phone, but my mother doesn't; she was getting literally dozens of
calls a day until I put her phone on The List.  Now... Zipnada.

(I did have a wireline number - used it for backup internet and fax
line.  And chuckle every time it rang; knowing someone was getting an
earful of digital....Only folks who knew to call that number also knew
to use a fax machine or computer to call it.)

--
Tom Spencer
PG-18-25453 (nee' P1-18-48841)