[BC] Sylvania, Georgia

Bob Groome bobgroome at yahoo.com
Sat May 10 11:51:09 CDT 2008

Jay

Thanks for the memory bump. I was traveling for
Gates and was there between 69 and 71. What a
nice bunch of folks. I got burned when peeeeeing
out side the building with the transmitter on. In
the grass not on the tower, in case you are
wondering. The RF was intense.

Bob
--- Jay Braswell <braswell at broadcast.net> wrote:

> Bob...
>
> That was WSYL/Sylvania, Georgia...1490 on your
> dial. The station went on the air in 1955 with
> a 150' shunt-fed tower, located about five feet
>

>  Longtime manager/owner Shirley Mahaffey was
> famous for adding a touch (a heavy touch) of
> echo to all her spots, and for adding a
> syllable to Sylvania. Correctly pronounced like
> the light bulbs, she pronounced it
> 'Sill-VANE-knee-yuh".
>
> I'd give $10,000.00 to go back to those days,
> knowing what I know now.
>
> Nostalgically,
> Jovial Jay

Bob Groome

Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.       John Adams, 1765

Personal Web site is http://web.mac.com/bobgroome/index.html

Work Email at ERI is bgroome at eriinc.com