[BC] HAMS & where to fine good help these days

Larry Bloomfield Larry at Tech-Notes.TV
Sat May 10 11:25:38 CDT 2008

Ron:

I owned a 2-way radio shop in Canyon Country, CA
for over 20 years.This is while I worked in the
broadcast industry in Hollywood.  Most of the
techs I hired were hams. I had a very careful
screening process they all went through. Making a
blanket statement that all hams tend to go off in
directions besides what they were hired for would
also apply to everyone on just about any subject
you'd care to mention. I was not an Motorola
Service Station, but was certified by just about
all the 2-way radio manufacturers in the 2-way
business including GE. I found that, for the most
part, the hams I hired were more reliable when it
came to finding solutions to various installation
problems we had. Some of my techs were
self-trained, some had college degrees. Each
brought his own talents, experiences and
abilities (which included inventiveness) to the
job. As their supervisor, boss, or whatever you
wanted to call my position, it was up to me to
use their abilities to my company's benefits. If
I couldn't have done that well, I'd probably have
only been in business a few weeks.

As for hams being trained; there are many places
that do crash courses just so people can just get
their "license."  I'm an ARRL certified
instructor. I conduct ham classes here along the
central coast of Oregon about once a year when
I'm not on the Taste of NAB road show. My classes
are once a week and run about 10 weeks long. When
a person finishes my class, they know
considerably more than question 15 is answer C.
Most of my grads not only take and pass the Tech
license, but also take and pass the general
license test. All of my material is on my
website:
<http://www.bloomfield.tv>www.bloomfield.tv.
It's posted there so any can use the material.
I'm in the process of developing an Amateur Extra
class and hope to have it done and posted by this
fall.  People who study and take the Extra class
license and pass it, are reasonably well rounded
techs. Like any other group of people, in any
other discipline, how they retain that
information and are able to apply it, is all over
the spectrum (excuse the pun).

I have that particular episode of 60 minutes I
was referring to saved on my DVR. I recall a
different 60 minutes, the one you are referring  to.

I'd like to continue, but I'm leaving tomorrow
for Portland and my first presentation on this
year's Taste of NAB Road Show (Tuesday), which I
tried to post here, but never saw it.
<http://www.tech-notes.tv/Taste_of_NAB.html>www.tech-notes.tv/Taste_of_NAB.html.

I believe this topic is very important - where to
find qualified help in this day and age.
Vocations into our industry are very lacking and
we need to find good qualified people or develop
them in one kind of way or another.

Larry Bloomfield, KA6UTC
1980 25th St., Florence, OR 97439
(541) 902-2424 – Everything