[BC] Female engineers

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Fri May 9 20:47:07 CDT 2008

The first woman in the electronics industry I met was
Barbara Scudder at Cetec/Sparta.  She ran the drafting
department like a Den Mother would run a Cub Scout
troop. She knew her stuff. I once asked her how come
she didn't have any women working for her. Her response
was not "politically correct." She would never hire a woman
because, "Women will never take direction from another
woman...It's in their genes." Draftsmen (that's what they
called them in the good old days), loved to work for her.
It was like reporting to your mother. It's in a guy's genes.

Recently, Mary Clisbee, an educator who reviewed my
book and did her master's thesis on "women in industry,"
came up with the conclusion that if women act like women,
they will have no problem in management positions.
It's only when they try to act like guys (pack leaders and
followers) that they get into trouble. It's simple, the
work place is like a family. Would you rather take direction
from your big sister or your older brother? Nobody I
know, including big sisters, would like to take direction
from the bossy big sister. If you are a woman in industry,
managing people (not just guys), you need to act like
the mother of the family. Its in the family's genes.

--
Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson

From: Bill Sepmeier <bill at dcpowerandlight.com>