[BC] AVG "Free"

Tom Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Fri May 9 18:32:31 CDT 2008

Gmail rejects executable attachments:

      Virus prevention

Most computer viruses are contained in executable files
<http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590>, so standard
virus detectors scan messages for executable files that appear to be
viruses. Gmail blocks viruses in the most direct possible way: by not
allowing users to receive executable files (such as files ending in
.exe) that could contain damaging executable code. This protects your
computer and halts the spread of such viruses.

Gmail doesn't accept these types of files even if they are sent in a
zipped (.zip, .tar, .tgz, .taz, .z, .gz) format. If executable files are
sent to your Gmail address, the message is bounced back to the sender.

We also offer anti-virus scanning
<http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=25760> for attachments.

Following that last link -

      About anti-virus scanning

Gmail automatically scans every attachment when it's delivered to you,
and again each time you open a message. Attachments you send are also
scanned. Checking attachments for viruses protects our users and their
information, and prevents the spread of viruses.

    * If a virus is found in an attachment you've received, our system
      will attempt to clean the file, so you can still access the
      information it contains. If the virus can't be removed from the
      file, you won't be able to download it.

    * If our system is unable to scan certain files, you'll see an error
      reading 'Oops... the virus scanner has a problem right now.'
      You'll have the option to try again later or to download at your
      own risk. Please note that if Gmail can't scan the contents of the
      file, we can't guarantee that it's safe to view.

    * If an attachment you're trying to send is infected with a virus,
      Gmail will display an error message to tell you, but it won't
      clean the file. To send the message without that attachment, click
      the link in that error message that says 'Remove attachment and
      send.'

    * If Gmail detects that you're trying to send an infected
      attachment, we suggest running your anti-virus software in case
      your hard drive is infected. If you don't have anti-virus
      software, you might consider purchasing/installing one of the
      popular applications so you can protect your computer and
      information from viruses. The free Google Pack comes with leading
      anti-virus and anti-spyware applications -- you can find out more
      at the Google Pack homepage <http://pack.google.com>.

HTH

--
Tom Spencer