[BC] Re: X-box

Michael Heim kd0ar at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 9 06:20:36 CDT 2008

I have that problem too on occasion, a temporary internet loss.  Tech support claimed on my last call to them says no, the interent is only used to program the receiver, and a temporary internet loss will not affect the audio.  He told me that he recommends the receiver be hooked to the internet, but temporary glitches will not affect the on air audio.
Actually, programming the receiver is rather easy.  The way I did mine was to have them (ABC) clone the settings in my SG3.  You will need to provide them with the s/n of the Starguide you want them to take the settings from as well as the s/n of your X box.  They took care of the entire programming for me, so all I need to do is hook up the audio and the relay closures.  Took about 10 minutes on the phone with ABC Tech.
I'm in the process of hooking up the audio now, and I'm still learning how it works.  So far, it has gone smoothly.
 Michael Heim
Chief Engineer, Forever Broadcasting
New Castle PA
WKST WJST WWGY
814-671-0666
Chapter Chair, SBE-122
ARS KD0AR

One thing about the X box that kind of irritates me is that you need
an internet connection to it for it to work.  If you temporarily lose
your IP does that make you dead in the water?  I understand that they
update and authorize the receiver thru the IP link.  I haven't gotten
into programming the box yet so I still have a lot to learn about it.

Ron D