[BC] RE: Starlink Problems

Lloyd Collins lloydc at regionalradio.com
Thu May 8 10:08:16 CDT 2008

The Starlink discussion brought to mind a problem I had earlier this
year with the T-1 version ( 9003T1). Intermittently the link audio would
go away with the indication that the Starlink was not connected to the
T1 radio. Wiggling the adapter ( DB15 hd to RJ) at the Mux module trunk
connector would bring the connection back and it would hold for several
days or even weeks. Thinking there was a problem with the adapter, I
replaced the RJ45 connector on the Cat5 cable going to the radio with a
mating DB connector and the problem seemed to go away--for a month or
so. Then, the same thing started happening again. Wiggling the DB
connector fixed things temporarily and I could not get the problem to
repeat by further manipulation of the connector. Cable itself checked
good, solder connections on the DB connector - good,  no adapter to
worry about at the radio end, and the RJ45 plug on the radio end was
well crimped.

After some discussion with  Dave and Andrew at Moseley, discovered the
DB connector was not fully seating in its mate on the Mux card because
the threaded spacers used to secure the connector to the module were
just a bit ( about 1/16") too long for the panel thickness on the
module. I filed the spacers down by 1/16" and have had no more trouble
for the last 4 months. The screws that secure the connector still have
room to fasten securely. That should probably be checked in each
situation where the spacer is filed down since not all Chinese screws
are the same ! I'm not sure if this affects any other DB connectors on
the modules.  The Mux connector pins look like they are recessed a bit
more in the connector body than the other connectors on the module.

Just got on the list. Lots of good information here. Best wishes to all---

Lloyd