[BC] BC] Moseley Starlink SL9003Q Interference Fix

Richard Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Thu May 8 01:11:28 CDT 2008

Two problems. Two solutions.

I recently installed an SL9003Q system and Crescend amplifier for an
FM station in Ventura, CA. I installed an IMC filter ahead of the
receiver. Everything was good for about a week. The Moseley manual
gave me some good information that led to clearing up that problem.
The manual states that the receiver should show @ -122 dB signal level
with the transmitter shut off. The receiver was showing -95. The
receive antenna installed to make the install deadline was a
compromise, a Paraflector.

Lead time for obtaining new round grid dishes, standard practice in
congested areas, is off the charts these days. I installed a 15 dB pad
and the dropouts stopped. Despite the expected drop in desired receive
signal, the "Pre" BER and ERROR count went way down.

Several weeks later -- more dropouts, but of a different character.
Just found out the cause yesterday. The transmitter audio, although
run through a limiter, was occasionally too hot. When the audio output
of the limiter was dropped, the audio problems went away. A new 6'
grid dish is on order. When it arrives and is installed, I can
retrieve my pads.

Richard Rudman