[BC] Re: Digital Archiving

rj carpenter rcarpen1 at verizon.net
Wed May 7 06:28:29 CDT 2008

The fellow I know who has done accelerated aging tests on CDs and DVDs
points out that most of us have no way to tell how hard the error
correction is working. These disks will deteriorate with time and
handling. The raw (uncorrected) error rate will increase. Suddenly the
raw error rate is too high for the error correction to repair. There are
some drives and software which provide this info, but he's gone vague on
the subject.

When one copies a CD or DVD, the "raw" errors are not copied, so one
restarts the deterioration time-clock from "new".  The trick is to copy
CDs / DVDs before the raw error rate becomes too high.  I can't give you
a schedule, but I think _I_ would do it more frequently than every
decade - and I'd keep the original just in case.

YMMV

bob capenter