[BC] Replacing my computer

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Tue May 6 15:34:00 CDT 2008

There are lots of downsides. You need 64-bit
applications and a 64-bit operating system.
Basically, all your software will be obsolete and need to
be replaced. Also, any files written under Windows will
probably not work because Windows applications assumed
that following: 8-bit bytes, 16-bit shorts, 32-bit integers, and
ALSO <gawd> 32-bit longs.

You say, "they all step down to 32-bits..." This is a LIE
propagated by somebody to sell 64-bit machines that
will be forced to run 32-bits. Sixty-four bit machines
CAN run 32-bit software, but it forces EVERYTHING to
be 32-bits! Don't buy the lie.

You can get Fedora Linux, with everything properly
ported to 64-bits for the 64-bit AMD (most common)
processors. However, the 64 bit machines are really
designed for server rooms where their noise is
not an issue. One of these things sitting on your
disk will sound like a hovercraft. I know, I have to
write software for these monsters and I am practically
deaf by the time I leave my office. I don't think you want
one for a desktop.

Also the power. I have a single quad-core AMD Opteron(tm)
processor running 2,110.84 MHz with PCI-X and all
sorts of goodies. With only a screen card attached
it takes about 7 amperes from the power line.
That is 7 * 120 = 840 watts! Of course about 10 watts
is converted to noise and the rest is heat!

If I were you and wanted to upgrade a PC. I'd spend
my money on a new fast SATA hard disk like
a Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB drive. The model number we
use at work is HUA721010KLA330. Plug that into Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=HUA721010KLA330&btnG=Google+Search

It's a screamer!

--
Cheers,