[BC] Phone System & VOIP Question

JYRussell@academicplanet.com jyrussell at academicplanet.com
Tue May 6 12:16:03 CDT 2008

Hi Paul -

   The 'VoIP' rig I'm using is simply 'audio over ip'... meaning, you move
it around the bldg as audio, not as a phone line.
Unless your network line is very close to the console.

Mine is just a telephone with a decent set of codecs in it's software...
it's got a network port on it, and a place to plug in a remote headset /
mic.  Looks like a plain old telephone.

I gave it an address  I can remember to dial... from FreeWorldDialup, or
Voiptalk.org,  and hung it on the wall in the rack room, then routed the
audio in / out like any other source.   I've messed with Henry MMP's and
such, and you can do all that to create a full IFB if you need it...

Basically, you're shovelling audio in and out of the telephone unit which
hangs on the end of a network line, so you don't have the frequency limit of
a POTS line... it sounds better, as long as there's no nnnneetttwork jitter.

I guess you could mix it's audio in and out with the rest of your telehpone
system hardware, IE Telos and such,  but I'm not so sure I would.

Works better for me to just run the audio from my VoIP phone to a pot on the
board, and pull a feed off the back of the mic preamp back to the voip phone
(yes, I put a button in it , the operator pushes the button to be heard on
the remote end).

One at the remote end, one at the studio, goes fine.
Jason