[BC] Transmitter Safety

Gary Glaenzer gglaenzer at hqradio.com
Mon May 5 13:30:48 CDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <DHultsman5 at aol.com>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [BC] Transmitter Safety

> In a message dated 5/2/2008 12:51:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
> glaenzer at verizon.net writes:
>
> Hello  Dave;
>
> I don't think the NEC addresses anything inside the  cabinet.
>
> Gary
>

> Gary they may not address it directly but my recollection is that the
> mention was deriving any voltage referenced to ground.   It was  cheaper to put in
> another single phase service to the crystal heaters since they  needed to on
> all the time.  However if an FM exciter need 110 VAC to  operate by the terms of
> the rules you were required to use a stepdown  transmformer from 220 VAC to
> 120 VAC at which point you could ground one side of  the secondary.

well, I know for sure that as late as the early 80's, the FM-2.5K had a separate 120V feed
for the exciter (when one was dumb enough to put it in the main cabinet)...honking big
Cinch barrier strip about waist-high, on the RH cabinet wall looking in the back

I also know that a lightning strike that went to ground via the REA would leave nothing of
the Cinch-Jones 2-terminal barrier strip save the mounting screws and other metal