[BC] It's Engineers....

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Mon May 5 06:42:01 CDT 2008

GM's being no dummies KNOW tier job function is being consolidated like
engineers were 10 years ago.  They are also tired of the uncertainty of
being a GM at a cluster which might not be the same configuration in 2
years and they're the odd one out.  PLUS, as others have pointed out, now
is not the time to put a house on the market unless you have a buyer lined
up, their financing is in place, and the offering employer is paying
some/all of the move expenses along with a solid minimum contract/signing
bonus.

If anything, manager engineers who are in reasonable shape with management
might have a better job security situation now than even a few years ago
because GM's/senior managers now know how hard it is to find replacements
unless it comes from within.  Which is not easy to do with one man shops or
small shops with staff who's not yet ready for prime time.  Major markets
might be the exception as one would expect anyone on the technical staff to
be sufficiently experienced to at least respond to TX issues.  If they can
resolve without the assistance of other staff, they're one step closer to
being the top guy.

MM

At 10:12 PM 5/4/2008 -0700, Barry Mishkind wrote