[BC] RIP Angel Harvey

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon May 5 10:55:48 CDT 2008

Radio is like that. I don’t know why. Before the ink
was dry on Richard L. Kay’s death certificate, http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2006/12/23/richard_kaye_helped_introduce_classical_music_to_radio_listeners/

the station (WCRB) that he had helped maintain as
Theodore Jones, its founder required in his trust
documents, was sold and moved out of town.
Richard Kaye had been the last hold-out on
the board of directors, trying to maintain the heritage
of one of this country’s most prominent and influential
classical music stations.

Previous to Richard’s death, the board of directors
had already sold much of the physical property to
the developer of the “Watermill Industrial Park.”
The moneys received were quickly squandered
by the board. So, WCRB is now somewhere near
Lowell, pretending to continue. Its compressed
background-music, which purports to be concert
music, now irradiates the FM dial from the area
where I-93 crosses I-495. It is barely listenable
in Boston, its birthplace.

WCRB’s engineering staff helped HH Scott’s
Dan von Recklinghausen http://hhscott.com/vonrecklinghausen.htm
develop FM stereo. Most people think that
FM stereo was just something that the Japanese
created when they took over obsolete FM radio
manufacturing in the ‘60s. Guess again. I built the
first FM stereo studio at the Sheraton Plaza Hotel
in Boston under Richard Kay’s tutelage. There
were no stereo boards in those days, so we
made our own.

--
Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson

From: Tom Dimeo <mwam at pa321.net>
> Just before 9:30 eastern time this morning I tuned across
> WABC and there was Tony Powell doing one of his satires
> imitating Paul Harvey on the Imus program.  Under normal
> circumstances these are distasteful but two days after his
> wife dies, I couldn't believe it.  Is Imus just so
> inconsiderate that nothing decent matters to him?
[Snipped...]