[BC] Radio soaps/dramas

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Mon May 5 06:38:27 CDT 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008 10:01 pm, WBRadiolists at aol.com wrote:
>  think radio drama could easily become a successful format, if given another chance.

 And, I think not !

 It's nationally on the air on Family Stations stations and translators, or
 was a few years ago, with a VERY small following.
 True, being a religious broadcaster, it's slanted, but good radio
 drama just the same.

 The problem, as I see it, is that radio drama requires thought on part
 of the listener. Pictures are painted in the listeners mind, not on a
 527 inch HD screen.
 Thought requires effort.
 Our society is based on instant gratification with no effort whatever.
 I'd predict a zero following for these reasons, and more.
 In order to work, the listener must concentrate on the story unfolding.
 You can't do that ( safely ) while driving, though folks do. ( cell phones )
 At home, folks would sooner flip on the tube, and get the drama in
 fabulous HD, with no effort whatever.

--
Cowboy