[BC] anybody else seeing glitches from AMC-8 ? update

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sun May 4 10:12:12 CDT 2008

------ At 10:14 AM 5/4/2008, Craig Healy wrote: -------

>At the 550 station in Providence around 1975, we had a periodic "bzzZZZzztt"
>in the production room speakers.  Roughly a ten or fifteen second interval,
>IIRC.  That did turn out to be an AWACS-type aircraft.  Gradually increased
>in volume and then decreased.  So, it's not just digital signals that get
>interference.

WJIB, Boston, was located at the end of Commercial Wharf. We often
experienced radar interference as military ships entered the harbor.
I was told they weren't supposed to use the high power radar in the
area, but many did  We had no option but to sit there and endure it
for the 20 minutes or so it took for them to dock and shut down.

I don't recall listeners complaining so I suspect it was confined to
speaker wiring and such. I'm still not sure it made it to air.

Rich