[BC] anybody else seeing glitches from AMC-8 ? update

Craig Healy craig.healy at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 09:14:03 CDT 2008

> we have never seen an AWACS in these parts (90 miles N of St. Louis)

At the 550 station in Providence around 1975, we had a periodic "bzzZZZzztt"
in the production room speakers.  Roughly a ten or fifteen second interval,
IIRC.  That did turn out to be an AWACS-type aircraft.  Gradually increased
in volume and then decreased.  So, it's not just digital signals that get
interference.  It was a rather old RCA console and well-shielded/grounded.
Sometimes a wire is just positioned to act as an efficient antenna, I guess.

A couple of years ago in Newport, RI at one of the festivals, the remote
broadcast equipment for one of my clients had a similar problem.  This time
it was caused by a Navy ship in the harbor.  We could see the antenna turn
and the noise was timed with the rotation.  The ship was leaving, and the
noise left with the ship.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI