[BC] Need some cellphone interface opinions......

tpt at literock93r.com tpt at literock93r.com
Sat May 3 19:13:09 CDT 2008

Using a Motorola flip phone I've had good luck using an EV 635. Much
better fidelity and some low end compared to the little condenser used
in the typical hands-free plug-in. I concocted a lash-up from an
ordinary hands-free mike and ear piece; cutting out the little
condenser mike and then terminating the mike feed with a female XLR.
The phone only puts out a few volts to run an external condenser mike,
and the 635 has a transformer output, so phone and mike get along
well. On the Motorola the tiny 3 circuit plug uses tip and shield for
mike, ring and shield for the ear piece.

On the other hand, the same lash-up with an RE-16 didn't work very
well as there was not enough level to keep the phone's AGC happy.  It
would "squelch" unless the talent talked loudly enough.

What the Treo would think of such a contraption is hard to say.  I
suspect you would have to stay with the ear-bud style ear piece, as
there is probably not enough audio to drive any kind of low to
moderate impedance headphones. But it would be an interesting
experiment to jeep in an XLR and trying a broadcast-style dynamic mike.