[BC] It's not just Engineers....

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sat May 3 18:01:31 CDT 2008

------ At 04:41 PM 5/3/2008, Milton Holladay wrote: -------

>I don't believe there is such a thing as a *really* secure
>situation, not these days, not ever. I was at one place 21 years and
>suddenly it was sold ad shortly I was unemployed--and that was in
>the much more stabe era 1990.......................

I can't recall a time less secure. Maybe the middle days of
consolidation when entire staffs were terminated so one person could
do the job of eight might be the closest. There's never been total
security even in heavily unionized operations. If they want to get
rid of you, they'll find a way to do it. As consolidated companies go
private and companies merge, expect massive firings and expect those
at the very top to make far more money for far less effectiveness.

The only thing I ask is that employers not expect loyalty from
employees when they're not willing to return it. Younger workers,
especially in Silicon Valley, demand idyllic workplaces or they pick
up and leave. There's a boom in consulting services to teach old line
"whip them into line" managers to deal with workers with zero
loyalty. Even they'll change once they have families and serious
responsibilities. It's going to come as a major shock. They still
won't be loyal, just more cautious.

Rich