[BC] RCA BTA5L & and other numbers (MAKE CORRECTIONS TO LIST)HISTORY

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Fri May 2 23:17:57 CDT 2008

WPGC, Morningside, MD was a competitor to WEAM, Arlington, VA.

It was WEAM that had the supermodulator.  It was a 10 kW modulator
(audio amp) and modulation transformer, feeding a 5 kW RF section.
It would do nearly 200% positive, though none of the audio processors
of the day did it well.  The clipping on the negative side made it
sound awful.  As I recall about 150% positive was about it.

It was also a bit strange in that it had a 52 or 54 Ohm output, that
fed the phasor which was right there.  A later CE ordered up a new
Nautel, which was put in the basement, quite some distance from the
other transmitter and phasor.  He didn't consider where he was going
to buy the coax cable.