[BC] Audio levels

Richard Fry rfry at adams.net
Fri May 2 17:45:08 CDT 2008

>To those experienced in the art and science of broadcast and telephony, dBm
>has a well-understood meaning, the SI-unit committees in France be damned.
__________

To this poster, and others responding to my comments on this topic...

Each of us is entitled to a personal opinion, and no problem there.

However the official position of the National Institute of Standards and
Technology (NIST) in the US supports/requires the use in the US of standard
SI definitions (see http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec02.html ).

Here is a partial quote from this source, from this URL:
http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec02.html .  Note that the Code of
Federal Regulations includes those regulations applying to AM/FM/TV
broadcast operations.

\\ Policy on the Use of the SI

In accordance with various Federal Acts, the Code of Federal Regulations,
and Executive Order 12770 (see Preface), it is NIST policy that the SI shall
be used in all NIST publications. (Footnote 1) When the field of application
or the special needs of users of NIST publications require the use of other
units, the values of quantities shall first be expressed in acceptable
units, where it is to be understood that acceptable units include the units
of the SI and those units recognized for use with the SI; the corresponding
values expressed in the other units shall then follow in parentheses. (For
precise definitions of the terms "units of the SI" and "acceptable units" as
used in this Guide, see Sec. 5.4). Exceptions to this policy require the
prior approval of the NIST Director. The following three sections - 2.1
Essential data, 2.1.1 Tables and graphs, and 2.2 Descriptive information -
elaborate upon this policy.

2.1 Essential data

Essential data express or interpret quantitative results. All such data
shall be given in acceptable units. In those cases where the sole use of
acceptable units would compromise good communication, or units other than
acceptable units have been specified as a contractual requirement, values of
quantities shall be given in acceptable units followed, in parentheses, by
the values of the same quantities given in the other units.

Exceptions may sometimes be necessary for commercial devices, technical
standards, or quantities having special legal significance; examples include
commercial weights and measures devices and the related laws and
regulations. However, even in such cases, values of quantities expressed in
acceptable units should be used when possible with the same values expressed
in other units following in parentheses. // ...

RF