[BC] Transmitter Safety

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Fri May 2 16:31:40 CDT 2008

> Broadcast transmitters are not required to be comply
> with the NEC code although many/most/all certainly
> do because anything behind an interlock can be
> scatter-wired as long as hV and low voltage wiring
> is isolated.

    I disagree on one fine point, NEC requires every wire
in any conduit or enclosure be insulated to the level of
the highest Voltage, so if there is 480 Volts in an
enclosure, the meter and other small signal wire needs
to be insulated for 600 Volts which many MFG. fail to do.
   Carried to the ridiculous, if the plate Voltage is 6 kV
all wires in all conduits & enclosure need to be
insulated for 10 or 15 kV.  I've never seen that.
   This is a dependability not a safety rule.
--
    Ron  KA4INM
         Youvan's corollary:  Every action results in