[BC] RCA BTA5L

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Fri May 2 16:03:15 CDT 2008

> BTA-5T: http://www.nrcdxas.org/articles/bta5t/
<
This new 5-kw AM transmitter, type BTA-5T,
incorporates the only worthwhile development
in class "C" power amplifier design in 20 years.
  The newly-designed PA circuit operates with a
plate efficiency of 90 percent.
  This represents an improvement of 20 percent
over normal class "C" operation. As a direct
result power savings of approximately 15,000
kilowatt hours per year can be realized.

   When when it came out, my boss told me about this,
I didn't believe it, I would like to see the
measurements through a band pass filter, to shield
the RF ammeter from the harmonics.  He was a believer
and didn't buy my thinking, but I saw one in person,
I think at WDBO Orlando, (I think) and I asked the
chap giving me the 5 cent tour what he thought, he
told me he worked it out and the figures were no
different than those from the home brew rig that
preceded it.
   Does anyone have better experiences with one of
these?  (true efficiency wise)

> BTA-5H: http://www.rossrevenge.co.uk/tx/five.htm
<
The transmitters are also well known, and remembered,
for the "Accordian" style sliding doors which were
prone to frequent jamming and other problems.

   I believe the "Accordion" style sliding doors are
actually called "tambour" Doors.
   I have seen many of these, the Scott connected plate
transformer (3 phase in and 4 phase out) is something
that I have been trying to get my brain around ever
since.
   I always thought these were nicely designed and built
but they seemed to have more problems than later designs.
--
    Ron  KA4INM
         Youvan's corollary:  Every action results in