[BC] It's not just Engineers....

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Fri May 2 10:28:26 CDT 2008

Agreed.  A station I know is actively looking for sales people.  The
applicants they're seeing are essentially people who are just looking
to put in an application to show the unemployment people they've
applied for a job.  No one is interested in radio anymore.

Gone are the days of simply taking orders on CPP and processing
copy.  Sales people need to work now to get that ad dollar.  Local
dollars are up while the national dollars are in the tank.  But so
many don't "get" it.  And their dyed in the wool old school GSM's
don't either.  Which causes them to bail leaving the business in a
lurch not knowing how to react to "retail" B2B sales .

In my experience, many professional positions are lacking people in
the business for the same reasons engineers have been lacking.  Just
as engineers were parsed out in the 80's, talent (later PD's) and
promotions are the latest to go out the door en-masse as operations
further tighten.  It's now common for one PD to manage two or three
formats of different genre's. A hip guy looking over a country
operation isn't what I call good management.  But it is what it is
these days and there is no end in sight.  The problem is there is
little/no new blood entering the door with enthusiasm.

MM

At 07:05 AM 5/2/2008 -0500, Golchert, Michael A. wrote