[BC] Fallout from cuts

Peter Moncure pmoncure at radiosoft.com
Fri May 2 09:14:28 CDT 2008

Gary Glaenzer wrote:
> that's what I thinked

All well and good to poke fun, but serious problems can result-the
failure of our Mars Lander was a units problem, and when we (RadioSoft)
coded the Canadian Treaty protection values we misunderstood dBW (which
is the unit specified in the treaty) to be what it says (decibels with
reference to one Watt) rather than what it turned out to be, which is
dBW/M, a completely different unit.  I assumed the treaty folks would
get the units right, but nooooooooooooooo.

As a result, a great many erroneous studies were sent to Canada by our
customers, causing delays, misunderstandings and precisely the loss of
respect and trust for which careful engineering description is the solution.

</egg on face>

--
Peter Moncure, VP RadioSoft
706.754.2725 -2745 FAX