[BC] Court rejects RIAA's 'making available' piracy argument

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Thu May 1 10:45:50 CDT 2008

I think the "Music CDs," actually "Music DVDs are for the new "blue-ray"
devices that require anything you record on them to be registered with
RIAA. They are not the general type of CD/DVDs that you can get at
Wall Mart or Office Depot. The Wall Mart devices will contain up to
4.7 Gb of anything you want. If your writing format is an iso9660
file-system, you have a so-called data CD/DVD. If it is the PCM
WAV format, it is a music CD/DVD. Other music formats also
apply.

BTW, I have C source-code for programs that make "perfect"
".WAV" files --16-bit stereo, for any frequency or amplitude you
want. If anybody is interested, contact me off-line. This would
allow one to set up reference levels and actually make distortion
measurements, just like the "olden days." If there is a large
amount of interest, I will put the stuff on a web-server.
It was written under Linux, but a few minutes with changing
the names of some header files should get it to compile
under Windows.

--
Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson

From: Tom <radiofreetom at gmail.com>
> IF you're silly enough to BUY a "music" CD... I believe the only time
> you HAVE to use a "music" CD is if you have a dedicated CD Recorder -
> one that's not part of a general-purpose computer system.  A computer's
> CD-R/RW drive will burn music CDs onto a "data" CD just as easily as a
> "music" CD - and will have the same expected service life.  The ONLY
> reason for the "music" CD's higher cost is that FEE to the RIAA; the
> disk is identical quality to a "data" CD.

[Snipped..]