[BC] BE 1 KW am transmitter SS

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Fri Mar 16 07:17:03 CDT 2007

" Any of you had experience with the 1kw not coming back on after being shut
down for an hour.  The 240 v  meter shows we have AC.  No other  lights come
on.
 BE says the small power supply has some bad caps and to replace the PS.  I
ordered a new one but wonder if any of you have ever worked on the supply
itself?
Mike "

I have had a couple of these BE switching supplies go south.  I think the
caps dry out and the supply is incapable of restarting.  In a pinch, you can
sometimes get them to restart by heating them with a hair dryer or heat
shrink gun.  This is only a stop-gap measure until you can get a replacement
or succeed with a repair.  Using the same technique, I have brought back
(long enough to get a replacement) the switching supply in a Jones, Wegner
satellite receiver that lost AC power and wouldn't come to life after the
power was restored.  YMMV.

Gary, K?CX
CE KFXS, KOUT, KKMK, KRCS, KKLS & KBHB
Rapid City & Sturgis, SD