[BC] putting phone calls on the air

Bernie Courtney jerseyspikes
Fri Sep 29 15:25:00 CDT 2006

Still was that way, at least up through May of this year when it was finally
time for me to bid RU farewell.  There was talk of abandoning the POTS
service all together (since everyone on campus has a cell anyway) and
apparently there was some deal struck with Vonage where you'd be able to
pick up a vonage adapter in the campus bookstore, bring it back to your
room, plug it into the LAN drop and have phone service if you wanted an in
room phone.

I Don't know how fast that is moving along, but I know there were a lot of
people in the telecom dept that were pushing it along since they currently
were paying for centrex service from Verizon for each dorm line and
recouping the cost in the past by reselling LD service.  Now that everyone
is using cell phone and not making LD calls they are loosing more and more
cash each year to keep the centrex service up and running.

bern