[BC] Fwd: AM-HD in Cleveland, Oh

Cornelius Gould cornelius
Fri Sep 29 13:25:12 CDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cornelius Gould <cg at radiocleveland.com>
Date: Sep 29, 2006 1:43 PM
Subject: AM-HD in Cleveland, Oh

This morning I decided to tune into WTAM 1100 to listen for traffic reports
on my Eton worldband receiver.

I use the radio in wideband mode with headphones on.  I noticed that while
waiting for the reports, I was fiddling with the radio to get rid of noise,
and after a little bit, it hit me that maybe they finally lit up HD.  Tuning
to either 1090 and 1110, there wasn't the usual monkey chatter, but a solid
block of noise.

Setting the radio into narrow bandwidth / narrow IF mode got rid of most of
the hissssssss.  I decided to tune around, and first impression seems to be
similar to what others reported.  The noise levels away from the channel
*seemed*  high enough to blanket out  weaker distant signals  as far down as
1060.   I didn't spend too much time as I wasn't 100% sure that the HD was
on.  On my ride in, I tuned in on the kenwood in my car, and there it was!
AM-HD.

I will see what happens to distant statiosn away from 1190 and 1110 at
sunset tonight...

- Cornelius Gould
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

- Cornelius Gould