[BC] franklin question (was WSM

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Fri Sep 29 12:10:52 CDT 2006

I guess one good thing about the Franklin is that there's no radials to rip
up and run off with.  I've always wondered how the Franklin is fed.  The one
in Calif. that's the two tower phased DA is fed with unbalanced open wire
feed.   At the feedpoints, is this feedline terminated so the center is
bonded to one side and the outer wires to the other (as if the Franklin is a
1 w/l vertical center fed zepp) or are both sides of the feedpoint fed with
the center wire (like two 1/2 w. end fed zepps with one side of the feed,
the outside, unterminated)?

thanks,

rob atkinson
st. charles IL

maybe the copper thefts will result in a return to the days of manned tx
sites.

***************************************

I believe this has already been mentioned,  the WSM tower is NOT a
Franklin,
it is slightly less than a 5/8 wavelength tower. Jack DeWitt designed  it
originally as a 5/8 wave radiator for maximum ground wave signal.  One  of
the
anomolies of the 5/8 wave is the amount of radiated signal that  is radiated
at
a high angle.  This radiation can end up bouncing the signal  back into the
primary ground wave coverage area.  He made measurements via  air after the
installation and determined that he needed to shorten the towers  overall
length
to reduce the high angle radiation signal.

The Franklin antennas are essentially a full wave antenna insulated and fed
in the center of the tower. I have been in the tuning house of the WSM tower
and  it is at the base of the tower not located in the middle.  Both WLW and
WSM  are not Franklins.

Gary now that you are in Nashville, get together with Watt Hairston and get
the tour of the site it is impressive and full of history.

Dave Hultsman