[BC] Country Music plight in top towns

Bob Tarsio Bob
Thu Sep 28 20:27:06 CDT 2006

Grady:

Bill Figenshu was the national program director for Viacom Radio when I
arrived in NY in 1982. He later became the president of the division. As it
turns out he was the last Viacom Radio president as Sumner Redstone sold the
group to what would become Clear Channel in 1996. Bill lives not too far
from me today. He runs an Internet company that specializes in brokering
spots for radio stations. It's a neat concept. Stations sign up for the
service and can put their excess inventory up on the site. Paying agencies
then have access to the spots at various stations in various markets. It's
ingenious because they collect on both sides of the transaction. They
collect from the agencies and take a commission on the spots sold.

I last talked to Frank about three years ago. He's out of the business now.
He bought an ISP and I believe continues to run it at present. Frank was a
smart guy and while I didn't always see eye to eye with him on engineering
he was still a great guy to work with. He was completely self taught and
knew what the hell he was talking about. He was an especially good audio
designer. We would often debate the characteristics of this or that op amp
or how best to design a telephone line driver.

I miss the days that you refer to. We also did a lot of building of custom
stuff at WKHK/WLTW. I was down there for a visit last week and pleased to
see along with some current BDI gear in the rack there was still an audio
router that we designed and built still on line after 17 years. We made a
few of these and they all ended up in our NY stations. I sent one of these
to Frank and he proofed it for us as he had better test equipment than we
did. This was a totally active switcher that used a now obsolete Burr Brown
high voltage multiplexer chip. You could run line level through it and it
would swing nearly to the rails of a +/-15 V supply. Alas, those days are
gone. Management would frown on building anything from scratch fearing that
you would walk out with the documentation under your arm. I left schematics
and documentation behind. It's a good thing as a few years ago the CE from
WAXQ sent me one of the units for repair. I told him you better send the doc
along with it because I didn't have it!

Bob Tarsio
President

Broadcast Devices, Inc.