[BC] Satellite Terestrial Repeaters

r j carpenter rcarpen1
Thu Sep 28 17:11:27 CDT 2006

Xen,

Outside major metro areas the satcasters don't have ANY repeaters as far
as I know.  Repeaters cost too much to squander on rural areas.   XM
has dozens of repeaters in the DC/Balto area,  but politics mean they
HAVE to cover this area.  That may be 5% of their national total
repeater count.

My nephew lives near Columbus, OH, but drives around the countryside a
lot as partner in a Civil Engineering firm that builds roads.  He also
drives up to Sandusky to his boat.  He has XM.

The point I make is that he recently rented a car with Sirius in the Los
Angeles area.  He thought it "normal" that Sirius faded out under
bridges, etc., in the LA area.

This shows me two things:
1) XM doesn't have repeaters where he drives in Ohio (rural?), and
2) Sirius has inadequate repeaters where he drove around LA.