[BC] Country Music plight in top towns

Cornelius Gould cornelius
Thu Sep 28 10:44:41 CDT 2006

> If over-the-air re-transmission of local radio were limited to that
> station's market,
> wouldn't that consume a lot of pipeline bandwidth?  I know there is
> the example of
> local TV being carried in their local market via Directv or Dish
> Network, but the technical
> compromise in the form of significant compression makes the stations
> difficult to watch.
> Do XM and Sirius even have the bandwidth to offer local radio into
> local markets?
This is why I stressed using the Local Repeater system.  In most major
markets, both SatCasters use terrestrial repeaters to "fill in" for the
times the Satellite isn't 'visible' by the receivers.  Limiting to the
local market could be as simple as gettign the feed to the terrestrial
repeater, and assigning it a channel there, and the national feed just
goes on as normal.

Don't know how possible it is to do this now in this late stage of the
game, but it is something I thought odd that the NAB didn't think about
at the time.  Everyone is so busy fighting new tech that the ways to
take advantage of it is lost.  Just ask the record companies!

-C