[BC] Country Music plight in top towns

Bailey, Scott sbailey
Wed Sep 27 12:10:22 CDT 2006

That would make a great FM format in Nashville. The lowest rated FM
station in Arbs in Nashville is WRLT-FM. I like their music format
(AAA), but it doesn't have, and has never done good. Their format
doesn't gear to the masses of this area, especially people in the
suburban areas. That station would be best off going to an all news
format.
An all news format like WINS-AM in NYC would be a winner here in
Nashville, and other markets.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Xen Scott
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:05 AM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Country Music plight in top towns

At 08:19 AM 09/27/2006 -0400, Cornelius wrote:

>My position since the dawn of satellite radio - and in particular, the
>terrestrial repeater quagmire was/is this: Instead of fighting
Satellite
>Radio, radio should have found a way to get ONTO the terrestrial
repeater
>system and become one of the many offerings on XM and Sirius.

I would love to hear an all-news format on satellite radio, but not just

the audio from
a cable network.  The problem with using the audio from a cable TV
network
is that some
information is conveyed visually, such as in a graphic.  That
information
never gets to the
audio-only consumer.  Ideally, XM or Sirius would offer one or more of
the
major market
all-news radio stations.

Now I'm just a retired TV tech, but isn't there a big contractual
problem
with putting
over-the-air radio stations on XM and Sirius?  Don't most nationally
distributed network
programs prohibit redistribution beyond the local market of the client
radio station?
Most all-news stations use radio program network sources.  A case in
point
would be
WCBS-AM.  Would the CBS Radio Network permit re-transmission of their
top-of-the-hour
news feed?

If over-the-air re-transmission of local radio were limited to that
station's market,
wouldn't that consume a lot of pipeline bandwidth?  I know there is the
example of
local TV being carried in their local market via Directv or Dish
Network,
but the technical
compromise in the form of significant compression makes the stations
difficult to watch.
Do XM and Sirius even have the bandwidth to offer local radio into local

markets?

Xen Scott