[BC] Stealth antennas

Harold Hallikainen harold
Sun Sep 24 13:07:28 CDT 2006

> OK, but what about broadcasters? Are there any stations that had to comply
> with some over-restrictive permit or zoning, etc, and "hide" their
> antenna(s)?

I dunno many details, but I think there's a directional AM station in the
Santa Cruz area that has its towers disguised as flag poles in a golf
course.

> Also, on an strange tangent- what is the "sujan" part of the address? I
> also
> scratch my head at the one called "gulfoss". ;)

I think Gulfoss is a waterfall in Iceland. I think the FCC names their
servers after waterfalls. Iceland always reminds me of the movie "Girl in
the Cafe." One of our favorites!

Sujan is what my father named two boats he had in sequence (Sujan, then
Sujan II). They were named for my sisters Suzy and Jan. The other server
here is named kauko, which was my father's name. I think Sujan turns out
to be a fairly popular name in India.

>>  They approved my operating hallikainen.com from the
>>  condo, allowing me to get the city business license.
>
> Interesting... it's not a business that would be bringing anyone to your
> door, so why would they care or even need to know? It's nothing more than
> computer connected to a dedicated Internet link. It's good that they
> realized that,
> and were open to granting it.

They have been cooperative. I needed their permission according the the
CC&Rs, which I am bound to comply with as an owner here. I also needed
that permission to get the city business license. So, it all worked out
well.

>> Some day Louise and I
>>  will move to a place where I can put up some sort of antenna, and I
>> hope
>>  to put the Bauer 707 I built in 1970 on the air.
>>
>>  Harold
>>  WA6FDN
>
> I would look forward to that, and to hearing/working you on the air. :)

Not quite on air, but here I am on the internet
(http://www.dovesystems.com/pages/braille/manual/manual.ram).

Harold
WA6FDN

--