[BC] Collins 300-G & resurrected vintage boxes

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Sat Sep 23 15:55:25 CDT 2006

In a message dated 09/23/2006 12:45:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sbailey at nespower.com writes:

>    Now, I'm not a ham operator, nor do I have a license to be up there in
> those bands,

Well...then what are you waiting for? :)

> but for 1 time out of the year, it would be nice for the hams to
> pick a AM frequency up there, and allow each ham station, two hours a piece
> to use thier station like a mock "old time" AM station. Do regular
programing,
>  play oldies, country and Rock N Roll, etc.  I know that is against FCC
regs
> up there, but to have a gathering like that, on 1 frequency, 1 day out of
the
> year wouldn't hurt.  I would just sit and listen with my Sony 2010 and
enjoy!

It would never happen. While the idea sounds really neat on the surface, the
first problem is that ASCAP, BMI, RIAA, et al would be all over it like flies
on syrup. Not only that, you have some hams that are, shall we say, "less than
desirable" who would take great glee in jamming those stations. I've heard it
all, trust me. Some of those "bad guys" are even worse than the CB'ers they
like to deride. (Pot calling kettle black?) Then, how do you determine who gets
what time slot? How do you enforce it? Major can-o-worms.

>     According to amfone.net, there are many stations that Paul Coursen has
> mention that has given these old boxes a send life.  I salute them.

As do I.

There are many hams out there who are fine gentlemen and who do, indeed, take
great pride in restoring those old transmitters and using them on 160M and
75M AM. (Some even move them up to 40 meters.) Some of these guys are even
running Orbans and Omnias! It must be nice to have that kind of money to spend on
one's hobby. :)

Anyway, Scott, you really should look into getting your License! You don't
*have* to buy expensive gear to get on the air, and we could use some more "good
guys" on those airwaves. We can't let the "bad guys" win... we have to
outnumber 'em. Taking some old B'cast transmitter and restoring it is one good way
to make it so.

Willie...
N1NKM