[BC] Processing (WAS:Collins 300-G pictures)

Bailey, Scott sbailey
Fri Sep 22 08:42:45 CDT 2006

Willie,
   You can reduce the bass, but you can't turn it all the way off with
an Omnia 3.  It's still way too strong for an old Collins box like that.
I would just use a little EQ box with an Inovonics 222 for processing
with that old Collins.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 8:37 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Processing (WAS:Collins 300-G pictures)

In a message dated 09/22/2006 09:17:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sbailey at nespower.com writes:

> the station manager there, wanted to change out
>  the AM audio processing from some old CRL 80's box to an Omnia 3. I
>  discouraged it due to the "heavy bass" that the Omnia puts out, and I
>  was afraid it would blow the mod transformer in the Collins.

Wait a sec... as configurable as modern processing boxes are these days,

doesn't the Omnia 3 have settings you can use to reduce that bottom end?
I would
think that it does. There should be no problem making it produce the
sound you
want, while also reducing that low-end.

I remember our old box hated bass. It sounded terrible. I was able to
improve
the sound by reducing the bass. When we got the new Harris (and a new
Optimod
with it) the difference was like night and day.

Willie...