[BC] Counterpoise Ground System

Bailey, Scott sbailey
Thu Sep 21 08:09:16 CDT 2006

I was reading a copy of the RCA radio antenna engineering book, from
1952, ( I have downloaded as an e-book) and it has a section on roof top
antennas.  It mention that the ground wires would slope down the side of
the building and insulated away from any objects that would cause return
problems. That might have been the case of KFIO.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Bill Harms
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:49 PM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Counterpoise Ground System

Good thought Nat.

	In the case of Spokane, the earliest stations were mounted on
the
tops of downtown buildings and a high school building (KFIO on North
Central High School). KSBN is a legacy of that era, although by 1946
when the installation was built, other stations were located in
better sites. I am sure the case is similar in other cities.
Baltimore has a rooftop station also (WITH 1230).  When I took
pictures of that installation, I did not have access to the roof so I
do not know what the ground system is like, but I do know it does not
have an overhead counter-poise system like KSBN 1230.